Frequently Asked Questions
“A heat-pump water heater uses much less electricity than an electric storage water heater. This is because it only requires electricity to drive the compressor and the fan, instead of using electricity to heat the water directly, with an electric element.” source: https://www.sustainability.vic.gov.au/
The system uses renewable energy to generate hot water without the need for a solar panel, and produces hot water with 80% greater efficiency than a traditional electric hot water unit. The systems work day and night, rain, hail or sunshine!
The hot water system uses Heat Pump technology, which is similar to an air-conditioner or fridge operating in reverse:
• A fan draws in air containing ambient heat, which converts the internal refrigerant liquid to a gas.
• A compressor then pressurises the gas, creating heat, which is then used to heat water inside the tank.
• After heating, the gas reverts back into a liquid the process starts all over again.
You can access the full system brochure and technical specifications here
Heat pump systems require airflow, very similar to a split system a/c unit, which is why they need to be installed outside. You are still eligible for the rebate, you only have to pay for the relocation of services (water and power) to an external location for the new system. Relocations range from $499-$999 depending on roof access, distance of relocation etc.
We are able to service customers in the following areas: Greater Melbourne, Seymour, Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Shepparton, Wangaratta.
Not currently, although please keep in touch as Tasmania, New South Wales and South Australia are not far away!
Unfortunately a gas hot water system upgrade is not an eligible activity under the current Victorian Energy Upgrades regulations.
No problem, our technical team can assist to determine what type of system you have. Contact us via the registration form.
- Register your details on the contact form on the home page.
- A team member will call to confirm your details, your eligibility for the free install and answer any questions you may have. We can then schedule a day and time for your installation.
- Start saving money every time you have a shower!
Absolutely! Eco Alliance is part of the Eco Light Up Group, we are Accredited across Victoria, NSW and Federal Energy Efficiency Programs. VEU Accreditation # A0514